A Nation Divided Poem

A nation divided
A view from a discouraged rebel


Dawn breaks the morning skies
Creeping along bloody lane
The world mocks us with these mornings filled with beauty,
These precious moments in the midst of chaos and gore
Another battle is fought
Another man down
In the end is it worth it?
Only time will tell
Because that number, that thousands of casualties
From only one battle
keeps climbing
I guess we we are all crazy in the end
To kill others over pride and a sickening sense of justice
As if we know what human life is worth
It only ends in death and destruction
Were the slaves really worth fighting for?
I will fight for my way of life but after Pickett's charge at Gettysburg again I ask
Is it worth it?
When we prove our loyalty we lose our conscience
When we are attacked by all 75,000 and still no side lets up
Is it worth it?
Sherman’s march will be the end to all our soldiers wearing red
They now wear grey
the color of death
The death of a way of life
An ideology
An identity
So next time a war is fought
We need to ask ourselves
Is it worth it?
Because with the fall of Georgia I am not seeing much joy, much laughter, much fun
Slaves are hurt instead of saved and children are dying oh so much pain
I implore you to look when you are outnumbered just like we were- ask yourself
Was it worth it?
We killed our economy, our loyalty, our infrastructure, our brothers all in just 5 years
I will never see eye to eye with our border sharing brothers northward
But I now understand what I lose when I fight for what I believe
next time I will look ahead to check the cost
Because when I see the grief i’ve caused to sobbing widows and anguished mothers
I know that I did this
And it is something I can never undo

Authors note *** I know that not many southerners thought like this at the closing of the war but I thought it would be cool to see these internal reflections of them since I was assigned to be a fed. I hope it gave you insight. Thanks

Comments

  1. This is excellent!! I am so impressed with your insight and writing skills. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Songs for the Feds