1864 blog

Dear Dad and Amelia,

The war is going terrible right now. All my friends are dying and I want to come and be done with this fighting. I don't care about slavery as much as staying alive. As y'all know after my last letter I was captured and put in a POW camp. I was one of the lucky ones to get out in the prisoner exchange which has all but dried up these days. A lot of my regiment wasn't so lucky and they died from disease in the camp. We are now almost completely out of food as the unions ruthless blockade continues in our ports. All these things are insignificant compared to the abuse I faced in Shermans march. It was terrible, they swept in like wind stealing and burning whatever they wanted. Whoever tried to fight them were cut down in a barrage of rifle fire. And those stupid feds not only stole food, they stole money and property like slaves and animals. I'm ready to come home and settle down on the farm, when will this blasted war end already!



much love, Corporal Brooks








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Songs for the Feds

!862 Parody to "I Lived"