Enlistment Letter: My thoughts on the War


                                                                                                                            August 1, 1861
Dear Father,

Today, we got word from General Lee. He gave us instructions and told us about the new capital in Richmond, Virginia. He is such a great guy for fighting for our right to keep the things below us where they belong. I am growing closer to some of my fellow soldiers but am excited to see you again. They have us seamen working hard from dawn to dusk. I am so tired but am proud to fight for my country even if I don't like rules. Some of the other soldiers are jerks but don't worry I'll beat them up for you. At least I am fighting by real men who know how life should be. I can't wait to make you proud. I can't believe these blacks think it is ok to step out of their place. We will put them back where they belong. I won't let those nasty being take your job away from you, no matter what any laws say. Mother should take care of you good. Did you hear about the Battle of Bull Run? It sounded so fun. Our regiment is working in another place but I hear the real men in the battle feasted like kings. We won that fight! My guess is that it was the first of many. Lincoln won't know what hit him. Is my sister learning her place? She needs to listen to you. You are better than any woman or person of color. I promise I will stay safe and come back to you Father. Don't worry for me. Just keep working on your docks. I  will be back to South Carolina before you know it. Maybe I'll even bring home a few slaves from war to work with us.

Your son,
Lawrence

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Popular Songs for the Feds

A Nation Divided Poem